A Guide to the Best Coffee Shops in Amsterdam for Cake Lovers
If you’re a coffee lover who enjoys pairing sweet treats with your favorite beverage, Amsterdam is the ultimate destination for you! With an abundance of coffee shops spread across the city, there is an endless array of choices for you to discover. Enhance your experience by diving into the world of coffee and cake pairings in Amsterdam.
In this guide, we’ve curated a list of the best coffee shops in Amsterdam for cake lovers to make your search easier.
Here are the top picks for coffee shops in Amsterdam that offer the best cakes:
- Van Stapele Koekmakerij: Located in the city center, this coffee shop is famous for its delicious chocolate cookies served with creamy hot chocolate. Their freshly baked cookies are a must-try!
- De Drie Graefjes: This cozy and eclectic cafe is famous for its American-style cheesecake and cupcakes. The cafe also offers gluten-free and vegan options for those with dietary restrictions.
- Pasticceria: If you’re a fan of Italian pastries, Pasticceria is a must-visit. Situated in the heart of Amsterdam, this coffee shop is renowned for its authentic Italian cakes and heavenly cappuccinos.
- Pluk Amsterdam: This trendy coffee shop is loved for its mouth-watering cakes, healthy breakfast options, and fresh juices. Their cakes are beautifully decorated and are every Instagrammer’s dream come true.
- Bakhuys Amsterdam: Bakhuys Amsterdam is a charming bakery that offers a wide range of cakes, bread, and pastry products. Their signature Dutch apple pie is a hit among the tourists and locals alike.
Amsterdam is a paradise for coffee lovers and cake enthusiasts. Whether you have a sweet tooth or simply want to indulge in some fantastic cakes, these coffee shops are guaranteed to offer you an unforgettable culinary experience.
Pairing the Perfect Cake with Your Cup of Joe: Tips from Amsterdam’s Coffee Connoisseurs
If you’re a coffee lover with a sweet tooth, you know that a good cup of Joe deserves an equally delicious cake on the side. But, how do you know which cake to choose to complement your coffee’s unique flavors? Don’t worry – Amsterdam’s coffee connoisseurs have got you covered with their expert coffee and cake-pairing tips.
- Dark Roast Coffee + Chocolate Cake: Dark roast coffee has rich, bold flavors that pair perfectly with the deep, indulgent taste of chocolate cake. Opt for a dense, fudgy chocolate cake with a smooth texture to balance out the coffee’s bitterness.
- Light Roast Coffee + Lemon Cake: Light roast coffee has bright, citrusy notes that complement the zesty flavors of lemon cake. Look for a cake that has a light, fluffy texture and a refreshing glaze or frosting to balance the coffee’s acidity.
- Nutty Coffee + Carrot Cake: Nutty coffee has earthy, nutty flavors that enhance the warm, cozy taste of carrot cake. Choose a dense, moist carrot cake with plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg for a comforting and flavorful pairing.
- Floral Coffee + Vanilla Cake: Floral coffee has delicate, flowery aromas that pair beautifully with the subtle sweetness of vanilla cake. A simple, classic vanilla sponge cake with buttercream frosting is the perfect choice to complement the coffee’s floral notes.
- Fruity Coffee + Berry Cake: Fruity coffee has bright, fruity flavors that are complemented by the juicy, tart taste of berry cake. Look for a cake that’s packed with fresh berries and has a light, airy texture to balance out the coffee’s sweetness.
Pairing Coffee and Cake Perfectly
Coffee and cake are like yin and yang; they were meant to complement each other. Pairing the perfect cake with your cup of coffee can be an art form, one that Amsterdam’s coffee connoisseurs have perfected. Here are some tips from the experts themselves on how to pair the perfect cake with your cup of joe.
- Consider the flavor of your coffee – If you are drinking a fruity coffee, pair it with a light and airy cake, like an angel food cake. If you are drinking a rich and decadent coffee, pair it with a dense chocolate cake or a nutty cake like carrot cake.
- Think about the texture of your cake – If you are drinking a smooth coffee, pair it with a cake that has some texture, like a crumbly streusel cake or a crunchy biscotti. If you are drinking a coffee with a lot of body, pair it with a smooth and creamy cake, like a cheesecake or a mousse cake.
- Consider the time of day – In the morning, pair your coffee with a sweet, light and fluffy cake like a lemon or orange chiffon cake. In the afternoon, choose a heartier cake like a pound cake or a banana bread.
- Match regional flavors – Consider pairing your coffee with a cake that features flavors from the region where the coffee was grown. For example, pairing a Brazilian coffee with a delicious Brazilian coffee cake or an Ethiopian coffee with an orange-spiced honey cake.
With these tips from Amsterdam’s coffee connoisseurs, you can now elevate your coffee and cake experience to a whole new level. Give them a try and indulge in the perfect pairing of flavors and textures.
From Sticky Cinnamon Rolls to Decadent Chocolate Cake: Must-Try Cake Flavors in Amsterdam
From Sticky Cinnamon Rolls to Decadent Chocolate Cake: Must-Try Cake Flavors in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is a city famous for its rich cultural heritage, stunning architecture, and delicious food. Among these culinary delights, Amsterdam is particularly renowned for its heavenly cakes that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. Additionally, the city is also known for its exceptional coffee, further enhancing your gastronomic experience.
From sweet and sticky cinnamon rolls to decadent chocolate cake, Amsterdam has it all. Here are some must-try cake flavors that you simply cannot miss when visiting this beautiful city:
- Sticky Cinnamon Rolls: Made with a buttery, fluffy dough, a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar, and finished off with a sweet glaze, these sticky cinnamon rolls are a classic Amsterdam treat.
- Dutch Apple Pie: This iconic Dutch dessert is made with a buttery pastry and is filled with juicy apples sweetened with sugar and spices. The pie is then topped with a crumbly and cinnamon-scented streusel topping, making for an irresistible dessert.
- Stroopwafels: These thin waffle cookies are sandwiched together with a luscious caramel filling and are a true Dutch delicacy. Perfect for a mid-day snack or a sweet treat after dinner.
- Decadent Chocolate Cake: Made with high-quality Dutch chocolate, this cake is rich, indulgent, and oh-so satisfying. The chocolate cake is then topped with a luscious ganache and is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth cravings.
Amsterdam has an impressive array of cakes and desserts that are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. From traditional Dutch treats to luxurious chocolate cakes, Amsterdam is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves cake.
Be sure to try these must-try cake flavors and indulge in the sweet side of Amsterdam.
Exploring Amsterdam’s Unique Coffee Culture: A Tour of Brews and Bakes
If you love coffee and baked goods, Amsterdam is the perfect destination for you. The city’s unique coffee culture is a delightful blend of traditional European coffeehouses and trendy, modern cafes. Here is a list of must-try spots for coffee and pastry enthusiasts:
- Cafe de Jaren – This spacious cafe overlooking the Amstel River offers an extensive coffee and tea menu, as well as a variety of delicious cakes and pastries.
- Coffee & Coconuts – Located in a converted 1920s cinema, this hip cafe serves up organic coffee and inventive dishes made with fresh ingredients. Don’t miss their famous coconut milk latte.
- De Bakkerswinkel – A bakery and cafe with multiple locations throughout the city, De Bakkerswinkel offers a selection of artisanal breads, cakes, and other baked goods. Their coffee is also top-notch.
- Lot Sixty One Coffee Roasters – This specialty coffee roaster serves up excellent espresso and filter coffee made with beans sourced from around the world. They also offer coffee tastings and barista workshops.
- Patisserie Holtkamp – This famous pastry shop has been serving up traditional Dutch treats, such as stroopwafels and bitterballen, since 1969. Their coffee is the perfect accompaniment to a sweet or savory snack.
- Get a Taste of Dutch Coffee at Screaming Beans – Start your coffee tour with a taste of Dutch coffee at Screaming Beans. This café, located in the trendy Nine Streets area, serves some of the best coffee in Amsterdam. Try their espresso or cappuccino, both made from high-quality beans, and pair it with one of their delicious pastries.
- Savor the Flavors at Bakers & Roasters – Bakers & Roasters is a cozy café that specializes in coffee and homemade baked goods. Their coffee is made with beans sourced from Central and South America, which lends a unique flavor that you won’t find in other cafes. Pair your coffee with one of their famous egg dishes or pastries.
- Visit the Iconic Coffee Company – The iconic Coffee Company chain has locations throughout Amsterdam, and they are known for their excellent coffee and warm atmosphere. Try one of their signature drinks like the Iced Oat Latte or the Honeycomb Latte, and take in the beautiful interior design of the café.
- Sample Some Specialty Coffee at Lot Sixty One Coffee Roasters – Lot Sixty One Coffee Roasters is a specialty coffee shop that roasts their own beans on-site. Try their espresso or pour-over coffee, made with small-batch, handcrafted beans. The café has a cozy and unique atmosphere, and they often have a small menu of freshly baked goods.
- Experience the Coffee and Art at Stedelijk Museum Café – Before or after a visit to the Stedelijk Museum, stop by the café and enjoy a cup of coffee surrounded by beautiful art. They have a selection of coffee drinks, as well as sandwiches, soups, and salads. The café also has free Wi-Fi, so it’s a great place to catch up on work or relax with a book.
If you’re looking for a traditional Amsterdam experience, head to one of the city’s brown cafés. Brown cafés are renowned for their cozy and comfortable interiors, offering a relaxed atmosphere where you can unwind with a cup of warm coffee.
These cafes also offer traditional Dutch sweets such as stroopwafels, poffertjes, and oliebollen, adding to the delightful experience of exploring Amsterdam’s coffee culture.
Delightful Amsterdam Bakeries: Irresistible Sweets and Savory Treats for Coffee Lovers
Amsterdam, renowned for its rich culinary scene, presents a plethora of delightful bakeries that offer an array of delectable treats to satisfy the cravings of both sweet and savory lovers. From scrumptious pastries to mouthwatering pies, these Amsterdam bakeries are a haven for coffee enthusiasts seeking the perfect accompaniment to their caffeine fix. Here is an extensive list that will guide you on a flavorful journey through the city:
- De Bakkerswinkel:
Nestled in the heart of Amsterdam, De Bakkerswinkel is a charming bakery that captures the essence of Dutch craftsmanship and hospitality. Indulge in their freshly baked croissants, heavenly apple pie, fluffy scones, and an assortment of cakes. Pair your treats with a steaming cup of aromatic coffee for a truly satisfying experience.
- Van Stapele Koekmakerij:
- Prepare to have your taste buds enchanted at Van Stapele Koekmakerij. This hidden gem is famous for its mouthwatering chocolate cookies, known as “De Original.” The rich, gooey center coupled with the perfectly crispy exterior will leave you craving for more. While they specialize in cookies, their flat white coffee is also highly recommended.
- Patisserie Holtkamp:
For those seeking a touch of elegance, Patisserie Holtkamp is the place to be. Established in 1969, this family-owned bakery has stood the test of time with its impeccable commitment to quality. Their irresistibly light and flaky pastries, such as the iconic “tompouce” and “appelflap,” are absolute must-tries. Pair your pastry with a cup of their freshly brewed coffee for a divine experience.
Tucked away in the vibrant Jordaan district, Bakhuys is a haven for bread lovers. This bakery prides itself on using traditional baking methods to create artisanal bread that is second to none. From their crusty baguettes to their flavorful sourdough loaves, each bite is a testament to their dedication to quality. As you savor their bread, complement it with a well-crafted cup of coffee for a blissful combination.
- De Laatste Kruimel:
Step into De Laatste Kruimel, a quaint bakery known for its homemade pies and sandwiches. Embracing a welcoming and cozy atmosphere, this family-run establishment is the perfect spot to unwind and indulge. Their pies, made with seasonal ingredients, offer a tantalizing blend of flavors that will leave you craving for more. As you relish these delectable treats, don’t forget to pair them with a steaming cup of their freshly brewed coffee.
- Le Fournil de Sébastien:
Immerse yourself in the world of French patisserie at Le Fournil de Sébastien. This bakery, established by a French pastry chef, brings the taste of France to Amsterdam. Indulge in their flaky croissants, heavenly pain au chocolat, and exquisite tarts that are truly a feast for the senses. Sip on their perfectly brewed coffee to complete your French-inspired culinary experience.
- Petit Gateau:
For those in search of artisanal petits gateaux, look no further than Petit Gateau. This bakery prides itself on creating mini cakes that are as beautiful as they are delicious. With flavors ranging from classic chocolate to zesty lemon, these miniature confections are a treat for both the eyes and the tastebuds. Enjoy these delicate delights with their expertly brewed coffee for the ultimate indulgence.
Embark on a delectable adventure through Amsterdam’s bakeries, where every bite and sip is a celebration of culinary excellence. Whether you have a sweet tooth or prefer savory delights, these establishments guarantee a delightful experience that will leave you coming back for more.
Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Traditional Options: Coffee and Cake Pairings for Every Dietary Preference in Amsterdam.
Crafting a list of coffee and cake pairings in Amsterdam that cater to dietary preferences may seem daunting, but we’ve got you covered. Whether you are a vegan, gluten-free eater, or prefer traditional options, here’s a list of the best coffee and cake pairings in Amsterdam, catering to every dietary preference.
Coffee and Cake For Vegans:
- CoffeeCompany – A vegan chocolate cake paired with their organic oat milk latte is a delightful combination at this coffeehouse.
- Vegan Junk Food Bar – A delicious vegan carrot cake along with their rich almond milk cappuccino is the perfect way to indulge in a little sweetness.
- Van Wonderen Stroopwafels – Their delicious vegan stroopwafels are made with organic ingredients. Pair them with a hot cup of freshly brewed Dutch coffee for an authentic experience.
- Vegabond – A vegan cafe offering a range of cakes, including the classic carrot cake, chocolate cake, and many more. Try pairing them with their signature lavender latte.
- Mr. Stacks – A vegan restaurant serving plant-based stacks and waffles. Pair one of their mouth-watering vegan waffles with a cup of coffee for the ultimate brunch experience.
Coffee and Cake For Gluten-Free Eaters:
- Koffie ende Koeck – Their almond flour-based cappuccino cake is a must-try with their house blend coffee.
- Back to Black Coffee – This specialty coffee roaster has a range of gluten-free cakes, including the crowd-favorite raspberry cheesecake. Enjoy it with their flavorful coffee. If you’re in the mood for a gluten-free brownie, try combining it with their smooth espresso for a tasty contrast in textures.
- Metropolitain – This French-inspired cafe has a range of gluten-free cakes and bread. Try their delicious apple crumble with a cappuccino.
- Koekela – A bakery specializing in gluten-free and vegan cakes, brownies, and cookies. Pair their famous gluten-free carrot cake with a cup of aromatic coffee.
Coffee and Cake For Traditional Preferences:
- De Laatste Kruimel – A buttery croissant with a simple cup of black coffee is a match made in heaven.
- Holtkamp – This patisserie has been serving Amsterdam since 1969. They have a wide range of cakes, including the classic Dutch apple pie. Pair it with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
- Patisserie Kuyt – A bakery that has been treating customers with cakes, macarons, and chocolates since 1904. Their chocolate cake is a must-try, paired with their specialty coffee or tea.
- De Taart van m’n Tante – This unique bakery offers delicious and unconventional cakes, including a rainbow-colored unicorn cake and a chocolate mousse cake. Pair them with their fresh coffee for the ultimate experience.
Coffee and Cake in Amsterdam: Frequently Asked Questions
Popular coffee shops in Amsterdam that serve cake:
1. CoffeeCompany: Known for their delicious selection of cakes and pastries.
2. Café de Jaren: Offers a variety of cakes to enjoy with your coffee.
3. Coffee & Coconuts: Not only do they serve amazing coffee, but their cake options are also worth trying.
4. Bakers & Roasters: A popular spot for coffee lovers that also serves mouthwatering cakes.
Types of cake typically paired with coffee in Amsterdam:
1. Appeltaart (Dutch apple pie): This classic cake is a popular choice among locals and tourists alike.
2. Cheesecake: A creamy and indulgent option that pairs well with a cup of coffee.
3. Carrot cake: Moist and flavorful, it’s a favorite choice for coffee breaks.
4. Chocolate cake: Rich and decadent, this cake is an excellent choice for chocolate lovers.
Recommended coffee and cake pairings by cafes in Amsterdam:
1. Mocha cake and a cappuccino: The combination of chocolate and coffee flavors is a true delight.
2. Lemon cake and a black coffee: The fresh citrus taste of the lemon cake goes perfectly with a strong cup of black coffee.
3. Raspberry cake and a latte: The sweetness of the raspberries pairs harmoniously with the creamy texture of a latte.
4. Almond cake and an espresso: The nutty flavor of almond cake complements the boldness of an espresso shot.
5. Cappuccino with appeltaart: The sweetness of the apple pie complements the creamy foam in the cappuccino.
6. Espresso with chocolate cake: The intense flavors of the espresso complement the richness of the chocolate.
7. Latte macchiato with carrot cake: The creamy layers of the latte macchiato contrast with the moistness of the carrot cake.
8. Filter coffee with lemon cake: The bright and zesty flavors of the lemon cake enhance the smoothness of the filter coffee.
9. Cold brew with red velvet cake: The smoothness of the cold brew coffee complements the velvety texture of the red velvet cake.
From vegan chocolate cake to almond flour cappuccino cake and the best classic Dutch apple pie, Amsterdam has something for everyone’s taste buds. With these coffee and cake pairings, you can enjoy the perfect snack break while enjoying the scenic beauty of the city.