Canada, with its scenic beauty, stunning attractions, and friendly locals, is an excellent place to spend your family vacation. Here are some of the top family friendly destinations in Canada to help you plan a fantastic getaway with your loved ones.
1. Explore the Beauty of Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is undoubtedly one of the most popular family-friendly destinations in Canada, with breathtaking views of the falls, lush green parks, and an array of fun-filled activities for all ages. Below are some of the top family-friendly activities to do in Niagara Falls:
- Take a boat tour to experience the falls up close.
- Visit the Niagara Falls Aviary to witness over 2,000 exotic birds.
- Explore the Niagara Glen Nature Reserve by hiking or biking.
Here are some tips for planning your Niagara Falls vacation:
- Book your accommodation in advance as this popular destination tends to get booked up quickly.
- If you’re planning to visit in peak season, be prepared for larger crowds.
2. Visit Thrilling Theme Parks in Canada
Canada is home to some of the best family-friendly theme parks in the world, providing thrilling rides, water slides, and attractions suitable for all ages. Here are the top theme parks in Canada that you can enjoy with your loved ones:
- Canada’s Wonderland: This amusement park in Toronto boasts over 200 rides and attractions perfect for all ages.
- Playland: Located in Vancouver, this park is home to over 35 rides, shows, and attractions.
Here are some insider tips for saving money at Canada’s theme parks:
- Check for discounted tickets online before you visit.
- Pack your picnic to save money on food and drinks.
3. Explore the Natural Wonders of Banff National Park
Banff National Park is a large and beautiful wilderness area located in the province of Alberta. It boasts stunning scenery, soothing hot springs, and plenty of activities that are suitable for families of all ages. Here are some of the family-friendly things you can enjoy together while visiting Banff.
- Visit the Banff Gondola to take a scenic ride to the mountaintop.
- Go canoeing or paddleboarding on Moraine Lake.
- Take a dip in the hot springs at Banff Upper Springs.
Here are some family friendly tips for planning your Banff vacation with kids:
- Book family friendly accommodation in the Banff townsite to be close to all the parks and activities.
- Pack warm clothing, even in summer, as the temperature can fluctuate.
4. Discover the Excitement of Toronto
Toronto is a fascinating destination that offers a variety of family-friendly attractions and activities. Below are some of the top attractions and places to eat and stay for families:
Family Fun in Toronto: Top Attractions and Activities
- The CN Tower – the tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere – offers breathtaking views of the city and Lake Ontario from its observation deck and revolving restaurant.
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada showcases marine life from around the world, including sharks, rays, and sea turtles.
- The Royal Ontario Museum has an extensive collection of art, culture, and natural history exhibits.
- Canada’s Wonderland is a thrilling amusement park with over 200 attractions, including roller coasters, water rides, and live shows.
- Toronto Islands is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy some beach time and outdoor activities.
Best Places to Eat and Stay in Toronto for Families
- The Chelsea Hotel is a popular choice for families, with its central location, spacious rooms, and indoor pool.
- The Fairmont Royal York offers luxurious accommodations and family-friendly amenities such as a children’s playroom and babysitting services.
- For a delicious taste of Toronto cuisine, head to St. Lawrence Market, which offers a variety of local food vendors and restaurants.
- Thompson Toronto:Located in the trendy King West neighborhood, Thompson Toronto is a boutique hotel that is perfect for families looking for a little bit of luxury. The hotel’s Rooftop Lounge boasts stunning views of the Toronto skyline and serves up small plates and handcrafted cocktails. For something heartier, head to the hotel’s on-site Italian restaurant, Scarpetta. The spaghetti with tomato and basil is a must-try!
- The Westin Harbour Castle is a great option for families who want to stay in the heart of the city. The hotel’s spacious rooms offer stunning views of Lake Ontario and the Toronto skyline. The on-site restaurant, Mizzen, serves up delicious breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. We highly recommend trying the Mizzen Burger or the kale Caesar salad.
- Mildred’s Temple Kitchen:If you’re looking for a family-friendly restaurant that serves up delicious brunch options, then look no further than Mildred’s Temple Kitchen. Located in the vibrant Liberty Village neighborhood, this eatery serves up classic brunch dishes with a twist. We highly recommend trying the fluffy blueberry pancakes or the huevos migas with chorizo.
- Gusto 101 is a cozy trattoria located in the bustling Fashion District. The restaurant’s menu is inspired by traditional Italian cuisine, with a focus on fresh and locally sourced ingredients. Their wood-fired pizzas are a must-try, with toppings like prosciutto, arugula, and truffle oil. For something heartier, we recommend the gnocchi alla Bolognese.
- Seven Lives Tacos Y Mariscos is a favorite for locals and tourists alike. This Mexican-inspired eatery serves flavor-packed tacos with fresh ingredients and a range of toppings. With lively music and a fun atmosphere, Seven Lives is an excellent spot for a casual family lunch.
5. Experience French Culture and History in Quebec City
Quebec City is a charming and historic city that offers a rich French culture and a variety of family-friendly attractions and activities. Below are some of the top kid-friendly museums and attractions, along with some tips for exploring the city with kids:
Kid-Friendly Museums and Attractions in Quebec City
- The Musée de la Civilisation is a fascinating museum that explores the history and culture of Quebec and offers interactive exhibits for kids.
- The Aquarium du Québec is a great place to see marine life from the St. Lawrence River, including beluga whales and seals.
- The Parliament Building offers free guided tours that allow visitors to learn about the history and function of Quebec’s government.
Tips for Exploring Quebec City with Kids
- Consider taking a horse-drawn carriage tour of the city, which offers a unique and fun way to see the sights.
- For a taste of Quebec cuisine, try the local favorite, poutine, which is made of French fries, cheese curds, and gravy.
- The Petit-Champlain district is a picturesque area with cobblestone streets, shops, and restaurants that are perfect for a family stroll.
6. Relax on the Beaches of Prince Edward Island
Prince Edward Island is a quaint and charming destination that offers some of Canada’s most beautiful “family-friendly” beaches and a variety of “kid-friendly” activities and attractions. Below are some of the best beaches and things to do on the island:
Best Beaches for Families in Prince Edward Island
Discover the most amazing family-friendly beaches in Prince Edward Island that offer fun activities and a safe environment for the whole family:
- Cavendish Beach is a beautiful and popular beach with warm water and soft, red sand.
- Basin Head Beach, also known as Singing Sands Beach, is known for its white sand and singing sand dunes.
- Greenwich Beach offers stunning views and natural attractions such as dunes, trails, and birdwatching.
Family-Friendly Activities and Attractions on the Island
Discover family-friendly activities and attractions on the island
- The Anne of Green Gables Heritage Place is a must-visit attraction that showcases the setting of the famous book series and offers interactive exhibits for kids.
- The Confederation Trail is a scenic bike and hiking path that offers stunning views of the island’s countryside.
- For a taste of PEI seafood, visit one of the island’s many seafood restaurants, such as Richard’s Fresh Seafood or Blue Mussel Café.
7. Go Whale Watching in Tadoussac
If you are looking for a family-friendly vacation in Tadoussac, don’t forget to include whale watching in your itinerary! Here are a few tips to consider when planning your family-friendly adventure:
- Whale Watching Tours for Families in Tadoussac: There are several tour operators that offer family-friendly whale watching tours in Tadoussac. Look for tours that have guides who are knowledgeable and experienced in marine life and can provide your family with a safe and educational experience.
- Planning Your Adventure in Tadoussac with Kids: Be sure to pack all the essentials for your family, including sunscreen, hats, and water bottles. You should also check the weather forecast and dress appropriately. Plan a restful stay after the adventure to get enough rest before the next day’s activities.
8. Enjoy the Beautiful Landscapes of Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island is a great destination for families who love outdoor adventures and breathtaking views. Here are some tips to get the most out of your trip:
- Outdoor Adventures for Families on Vancouver Island: From hiking to kayaking, there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy on Vancouver Island. Look for family-friendly hikes and tours that are suitable for your kids’ ages and abilities.
- Best Accommodations and Dining Options for Families on the Island: Check out family-friendly accommodations and dining options when planning your stay on Vancouver Island. Look for hotels and restaurants that offer amenities and services that cater to families’ needs, such as a pool, a complimentary breakfast, and a kids’ menu.
9. Experience the Charm of Old Quebec City
Old Quebec City is a charming destination that offers a glimpse into Canada’s rich history and culture. Here are some ideas on what to do and see with your family:
Family-Friendly Things to Do in Old Quebec City
- Visit the Plains of Abraham, explore the fortifications, and take a stroll along the Dufferin Terrace. You can also take a guided tour that is designed for families or rent bikes to explore the city’s streets and parks.
Tips for Visiting Old Quebec City with Kids
- Wear comfortable shoes, bring snacks and water bottles, and plan your itinerary in advance. You might also want to bring a stroller or a carrier for younger children and be mindful of the uneven terrain and steep stairs.
10. Discover History and Culture in Ottawa:
Ottawa is the capital city of Canada and a great place to learn about the country’s history and culture. Here are some suggestions for family friendly activities:
- Museums and Attractions for Families in Ottawa: Visit the Canadian Museum of History, the Canadian War Museum, and the National Gallery of Canada. You can also take a scenic boat ride on the Rideau Canal or the Ottawa River.
- Planning Your Family Vacation in Ottawa: Check out family-friendly hotels and restaurants in Ottawa and consider getting a CityPASS, which offers discounted admission to several popular attractions. You may also want to plan your visit during the summer months when there are many outdoor festivals and events in the city.
FAQ Family Friendly Activities In Canada
Fun Outdoor Activities for Families in Banff:
– Banff Gondola: Enjoy a mesmerizing view of the Banff National Park by taking a gondola ride.
– Canoeing at Lake Louise: Go canoeing at the beautiful Lake Louise and immerse yourself in the stunning surroundings.
– Hiking at Johnston Canyon: Take a nature walk with your family to the serene Johnston Canyon and enjoy the breathtaking view.
Family-Friendly Museums in Toronto:
– Royal Ontario Museum: This museum has hands-on exhibits and interactive displays that are perfect for families with children.
– Ontario Science Centre: Enjoy fun and educational exhibits at the Ontario Science Centre, suited for all ages.
– Art Gallery of Ontario: This museum has family programs and kid-friendly exhibits that you and your family will enjoy.
If you’re looking for budget-friendly family vacation options in Canada, consider these destinations:
– Camping in one of Canada’s many national or provincial parks
– Visiting Quebec City, where you can experience European charm without leaving North America
– Exploring the beaches and dunes of Prince Edward Island- Going on a road trip through the Canadian Rockies, where you can see stunning scenery and wildlife without spending a lot of money on activities.
1. Summer season (June to August) is the best time to visit Canada for family-friendly activities. The weather during this time is mild, and many popular tourist destinations and outdoor activities are open.
2. Spring (March to May) and Fall (September to November) can also be great times to visit Canada for families who enjoy cooler weather and outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and skiing.
3. Winter season (December to February) can be ideal for families who love winter sports such as skiing, ice skating, and sledding. However, it can also be challenging to visit some destinations due to heavy snowfall and extreme temperatures.
1. Hiking – Canada has some of the most beautiful hiking trails in the world suitable for families. The Bruce Trail, Banff National Park, and Vancouver Island’s West Coast Trail are some of the top hiking destinations in Canada.
2. Skiing and Snowboarding – Canada is famous for its ski resorts, especially in Whistler, Banff, and Lake Louise. These resorts offer a great experience for families, with kid-friendly ski classes, slopes, and activities.
3. Canoeing and Kayaking – Canada is home to several lakes and rivers that are perfect for family-friendly water activities such as canoeing, kayaking, and paddleboarding. Algonquin Provincial Park, the Bow River in Banff, and the Rideau Canal in Ottawa are popular destinations.
1. Ontario Science Centre – Located in Toronto, this hands-on science museum is perfect for families. Kids can participate in interactive exhibits and learn about science, space, and technology.
2. Royal Ontario Museum – Also located in Toronto, the Royal Ontario Museum features a vast collection of art, artifacts, and fossils. The museum also has plenty of interactive exhibits suitable for kids of all ages.
3. Canadian Museum of History – Situated in Gatineau, Quebec, this museum features Canadian history, culture, and diversity. The museum has several interactive exhibits and activities suitable for families.
4. The Canadian Museum of Nature – This museum located in Ottawa, Ontario, features natural history and showcases the diversity of Canadian wildlife. Families can explore interactive exhibits and learn about the history of the Canadian wilderness.